Skip to main content

Dedications | Half Century

50 years ago on this blessed day, the most incredible embodiment of strength and resilience graced the world with her presence. My mother, who's been a cricket fanatic for all of her life, has finally scored the half-century of life, Masha'Allah. Congrats Mom, YOU'RE 50 YEARS OLD!!

A momentous occasion such as this one calls for celebration with the most significant individuals in one's life- which, for my mother, include my dad, my brother, and myself.
Unfortunately, both my brother and I are thousands of miles away, and the most that I could do to be "present" during this time is video chat with the parental unit over Viber.

Ever since February hit, I've been a mess in my head, and I think it's because with this milestone approaching, the amount that I miss my mom just increases exponentially every day. The relationship that I've had throughout my life with my mother has been incredibly influential in developing myself; she's taught me how to smile in the face of adversity, how to put those I care above all else, how to retain faith in challenging situations- this list can go for days.


Her experiences in life have been diverse, and many of them have not been pleasant, and many of them have caused her a lot of pain and stress. But through all of it, she's maintained her composure and faced every new challenge head-on, failure never being an option. She's also insanely humble, and never gives herself enough credit for being the amazing woman that she is.


Maa, thanks for always listening to me ramble on about life- be it the drama that's going on in my circle of friends, or work-related stress, or the downpour of my philosophical wonderment, or my social justice rants. Your openness to new ideas, and desire to absorb as much knowledge as possible is a constant reminder to me that life is fleeting, and that we should make the most out of every single second that we are allowed to be alive.


Everybody that is reading this, keep my mother in your prayers as she enters into a new stage in her life. Ammi, love you, miss you, always.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perspectives | On Therapy

I am grateful to my therapist and to myself that I embarked on this journey. There is no shame in me accepting this opportunity to grow, and I will add increasing mental health service access to my long list of contributions I want to make to this world before I meet my maker.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hey ya'll! I'm going to try a new posting schedule for my blog, once a week. This is because 1. I love writing and almost never do it without being prompted and 2. my therapist tells me routines are good. Overview Speaking of therapy, let's speak. I started going to therapy when I was a Junior in college, coming off of the 2016 presidential election. Born and raised in Bangladesh, where mental health is not a topic worthy of being discussed, I was not taught to think of myself as someone who "needed" therapy. This kind of thought process stems from social conditioning, which makes us feel like if we are not capable of dea...

Reflections | It's All About Perspective

How do you define reality? Do we dictate what is real? Determine each and every component of our existence, debate, dwindle, and finally decide which parts are real and what is fantasy? Is it all real, and we just label fantasy that which we do not have the ability to cope with/comprehend? I've been having the best time at college. These past few days have been some of the most precious of my life, and I've encountered so many dynamic, energetic, curious and intelligent students, all of them equally as enthusiastic about calling this amazing University their home. Today, on the way back from a massive volunteering project, a few of us had a discussion on Literature. We talked everything from Shakespeare, to classics, to Dan Brown, all the way to The Hunger Games and Divergent. We talked about what actually makes literature one of the elements that holds society together, and the immense amount of creativity and dedication that is required to create world after world. CA...

Perspectives | Midterms, Minorities, and Myths

It's only been 2 years, since both houses of Congress and the Executive Branch began an all-out war on human rights and diversity. This is going to be a fight we're going to be fighting for a long time to come, so encouraging a narrative of defeat is absolutely detrimental to the cause. We took back a House, and at least 7 governor seats (2 more too, hopefully). That's progress, even when we don't look at the sheer diversity of the candidates that got elected. I'm going to celebrate these wins, because people like us rarely ever get to do so.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ You can't take my youth away. This soul of mine will never break. As long as I wake up today, You can't take my youth away. Shawn Mendes and Khalid just released their video for the song Youth, which includes messages of hope, love, and perseverance, interspersed with videos of the youth in all their spectacularly talented glory. It's linked he...